Thinking Love at the Beqaa











I don’t know if it was the wine or the poetry but as we left Chateau Kefraya and started cycling again, my mind got back to my early-morning meditation on “the man/woman of one’s life”.

The idea of having “one person meant for you” is quite tempting. I know it sounds terribly fogy but I kind of like Plato’s theory of 2 humans originally combined split in half and condemned to spend their lives searching for each other.
Life would then be the restless quest for this one-and-only half of one's soul. And when you meet, you just feel a magnetic pull towards one another, nothing words or reason could ever explain, it’s just there…an indefinable chemistry and the deep feeling of belonging together.
What a beautiful feeling…
New York City …3 years back…One of my Iranian-French flatmates (Iranian again, what a coincidence!) was describing to me her soul-mate experience. She said “We didn’t need to talk, we were above words. Our skins were talking for us, it’s just like if they had recognized each other”. It sounded like a fairy tale…the fairy tale everyone wishes to live.

But then…what if you never meet THAT person?
What if you never experience THAT chemistry and feeling of belonging?
And what if you do, but a person who seemed “meant for you” at some point of your life doesn’t seem so anymore at an other point? Wouldn’t it be limiting to think that you could experience the soul-mate thing only once in your life?

Human mind is not a static thing; it keeps evolving, shaped by life experiences. Isn’t it the same with love? Aren’t we able to love different people, differently, and at different stages of our lives? Or do we love different people but always keep that unique soul-mate-type-of-love for ONE person, just like Fernando Ariza - the hero of Garcia Marquez's novel "Love in the time of Cholera" - loved Fermina Daza, (his adolescence crush) 51 years, 9 month and one day, despite the many many women who crossed his life...

I still remember the first guy I “loved” :-) I was 8 years-old and he was 10. He was French and his name was Gabriel. God I LOOOOOVED HIM!!! I would always join the “catch me if you can” team at recess and spend it running after him…Of course, I never told him anything (what the hell would an 8-years-old girly tell a 10-years-old boy!) and the following year, his father got a job somewhere else and they left Fez…Destiny brought Gabriel back on my path a few years after: I was 15 and when I talked to him, I immediately realized that if we had met later, not only would I have never fallen in love with him but I would have probably never even looked at him. He became one of those hippy pot-smokers and heavy metal lovers…So not my type :-)

I know an 8-years-old crush can't really be considered as "love" but isn't love at the end a matter of timing?
Or would your soul-mate, the “one-and-only”, be above time-considerations?


....


The road to Rashaya, little town on the mountain top, was getting more and more difficult. Sinuous up hills had succeeded to the flat road and I had to get off my bike several times and walk it up.I was exhausted, thirsty, hungry (yes it happens!) and could barely wave to the villagers who came to greet us.

We finally reached charming Rashaya, at the foothills of snow-capped Mount Hermon. Rashaya is a mostly Christian and Druze mountain town, with typical red brick rooftops houses and tiny streets, and is famous for its local jewellery factories and shops.
According to Deuteronomy 3:8, Mount Hermon served as the northern boundary of the Promised Land. It was also a possible site of the “Transfiguration”, where Jesus took his disciples, Peter, James and John for prayer and conversed with Moses and Elijah, who had appeared beside him.

FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!

After what seemed to me to be the yummiest meal ever (nothing special though, the usual Lebanse Mezze and rice with meat), I took a little walk around with one of the chicas and two Turkish mates and stopped by a terrace, with a great view of majestic Mount Hermon.

Since the 6-Days war in 1967, the southern slopes of Mount Hermon have been occupied by Israel and unilaterally annexed in 1981, along with the Syrian Golan heights. This sector of the Mount is believed to be heavily patrolled by the Israeli Forces, as it is a strategic observation post for monitoring Syrian and Lebanese military activity.

It seemed to me that no matter how far could one go, the conflicts of the region would always pop up,often unexpectedly, like in this quiet and charming little mountain town.

It was getting dark and quite chilly. Time to leave…

Aucun commentaire: